We have carefully compiled the top tourist attractions In Nigeria you can visit, trust me it has not been easy to compile as there are over 100 lovely sites spread across the 36 states of the country.
A visit to the “giants of Africa” Nigeria is sure not going to be a bad idea, there are lots of tourist attractions in Nigeria, fun and historical sites to visit around the country, from Lekki Conservation Centre, Yankari Game Reserve, Obudu Cattle Ranch, Nok Village in Kaduna, Oguta Wonder Lake, Tinapa Free Trade Zone, etc. Am sure you also won’t be expecting less from the largest black nation, a visit to Lagos, Calabar, Abuja, and other top cities in the country is sure to leave an indelible mark on your memory.
Are you planning a vacation? Do you want to travel within Nigeria and, and so you want to know the top tourist attractions within the country, where you can get memories to last a lifetime? Here are the top ten tourist centers in Nigeria that are currently gaining wide attraction and popularity not just among local thrill-seekers, but also among international visitors who have heard, and so want to enjoy what these places have to offer.
Top 20 Tourist Attraction In Nigeria
Olumo Rock, Ogun State
This historic tourist centre sits in Abeokuta, Ogun State. Abeokuta is a name which means ‘under the rock’. No wonder the town is famous for huge rocky mountains. To many, Olumo Rock has been a tourist attraction for years. Since the 19th century, Olumo Rock has been served as a rock of fence and a fortress for the people of Egba Land.
Lekki Conservation Centre, Lagos State
The Lekki Conservative Centre is one of Nigeria’s best nature reserve. This conservative and relaxation centre is located in Lagos State and offers a breath of fresh air. It is located in a serene environment far away from the hustle and bustle of Lagos. This icon of nature conservation covers approximately 78 hectares of land. Lekki Conservative Centre represents the flagship project of Nigeria Conservation Foundation for the preservation of unique biodiversity, scenic, natural, scientific recreational values of the coastal environs of Western Nigeria. Your visit to Lagos is not complete if you don’t experience this sensational feeling that comes from nature.
Yankari Game Reserve, Bauchi State
A visit to the Northern part of Nigeria without visiting the Yankari Game Reserve would be an unfulfilled mission. At the reserve, you will be captured by the number of activities you can participate in. As you embark on a guided Safari tour, you will find different varieties of animal species living in their natural habitats.
What makes Yankari Game Reserve special is not just the wildlife, but the Wikki Warm Spring. Experience the warmth of this spring.
Obudu Mountain Resort, Cross River
Even before your planned visit to Nigeria am sure you must have heard a little bit about Obudu Mountain Resort in Cross River State. This is the perfect spot for tourists, there are loads of spectacles for you here.
The famous Obudu Mountain Resort formerly called Obudu Cattle Ranch is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations you should visit in Nigeria. This resort centre is located on the Obudu Plateau, close to the Cameroon border, in the Northern part of Cross River State.
The rooms in Obudu Mountain Resort comes in different styles. Some are in the form of chalets, other standard rooms, executive rooms, huts, and the presidential suites.
Obudu has been an attractive landscape which offers visitors a mixture of warm and cold temperature. Are you planning for your honeymoon? Then choose Obudu Mountain Resort, the place where lovers love and beauty resides.
Nok Village, Kaduna State
Have you heard about the Nok culture and civilization? Then you should take a trip to Nok Village in Kaduna State. Nok Village earned its name due to the Nok civilization that used to inhabit the area from around 500 BC. It is located in the east of the Niger River and north of the Benue River. Nok is home to the oldest and extraordinary cultural artworks such as sculpture, figurines, painting, stone works, etc, found in Africa.
Oguta Wonder Lake, Imo State
Oguta Wonder Lake is located in Oguta Local Government in Imo State. The lake is a beautiful place to behold, a nice place for families to have fun. The magnificence of Oguta Lake makes the town the most visited place in Imo.
Riding on the speed boat, you would be mesmerized to see one half of the lake which is brownish in Colorado flowing side by side with the other half which is greenish. These waters although flowing side by side never come together. You now see why it is described as ‘wonder’.
The lake is a lean finger lake forms by deposits of clay, sand, and silt that dammed the lower Njaba River. Visit Oguta wonder Lake and witness the wonders of nature.
The Tinapa Free Zone& Resort, Cross River
You must be familiar with this name, well, this is now one of the top tourist attraction in Nigeria at the moment and is located at Calabar, Cross River State. Tinapa like Obudu is a fascinating spot filled with lots of amusement and entertainment. The resort centre has 860,000 square feet of retail space for lease, restaurants, and an entertainment strip that houses a digital cinema, a mini amphitheatre, casino, children’s arcades, night club, and pubs. Relax, have fun, and enjoy the beauty of nature all in Tinapa.
The resort is usually crowded during festive periods and public holidays, so it is best to visit during off-peak seasons or better still, during the day because it gives you the opportunity to explore all the facilities available for as long as you want.
Coconut Beach, Lagos State
The Coconut Beach is located in Badagry, the Western part of Lagos State. 20 miles before you get to the Republic of Benin lies this nature’s gift. It has a captivating and beautiful ocean views perfect for relaxation. The beautiful beach is surrounded by coconut trees and is an ideal destination for fun lovers and holidaymakers. You can always refresh yourself with coconut juice sipped directly from the green coconut.
New Afrika Shrine, Lagos State
The New Afrika Shine aka Fela Shrine is located in Lagos capital city, Ikeja. This is the replacement of the original shrine that was burnt down in 1977. It serves as the host location of the annual Felabration Music Festival currently managed by Femi Kuti and Yeni Anikulapo-Kuti.
Take your night escapades to the next level with a trip to the New Afrika Shrine.
Ikogosi Cold and Warm Spring, Ekiti State
The mystery of Ikogosi Spring has and is still an attraction to many tourists today. Ikogosi Cold and Warm Spring is an awesome sight to behold and experience when you visit Ekiti State. Flowing abreast the warm spring is the cold spring which meets the warm spring at a confluence, each retaining its thermal properties. After a tour to the spring, you can treat yourself in the resort centre constructed around the spring.
- The Ibeno Beach: Located in Akwa Ibom state is one place you sure should visit as a tourist in Nigeria. This beach is stretched over 245km, its a very lively site.
- Osun-Osogbo Grove: The Osun-Osogbo festival is one of the most popular festivals in Nigeria today. This grove is now one of the most visited tourist attractions in Nigeria today.
- Ngwo Pine Forest: Are you an adventure seeker? If yes, then the Ngwo Pine forest in Enugu state is a perfect place for you. This site is going to give you some memorable moments.
- Port Harcourt Tourist Beach: Here is an artificial sand beach in Nigeria, I know you might be shocked to know there is also an artificial sand beach in Nigeria, well visit this site and have one of the best times of your life.
- Gashaki-Gumpti National Park: Let’s talk about the Gashaki-Gumpti national park which offers you insight on the medieval times in Nigeria. This is the largest and most diverse national park in the country and it is located in Taraba state.
- Alok Ikom Monoliths: one of the top tourist attractions in Nigeria, you are going to find 300 carved stones standing upright in circles. This top tourist spot is located in Cross River state.
- Awhum Waterfall: Waterfalls are fun and the Awhim waterfall in Enugu state is no exception. This is one of the top religious tourist sites in Nigeria and highly recommended, if you are visiting the country.
- Arochukwu Long Juju Slave Route: Heard about the god of Arochukwu? Well, this is nothing related to that, here is a top tourist attraction at the moment and makes this list cause it has a lot to offer you.
- Isaac Boro Garden Park: This park is located in Port Harcourt and one of the best tourist attractions in Nigeria and deservedly makes it on this list.
- The Emotan Statue: This statue is located in Benin City opposite the Oba market and attracts numerous tourists from all corners of the world.
- The Royal Palace Of Oba Of Benin: This site is now listed as a UNESCO heritage site to show you how popular it is. This site is located near King’s square and is a sure place for you to visit.
- Sukur Cultural Landscape: This site is blessed with so many things that you can’t explore all on a visit, this place is blessed with lush avifauna and situated on to of a mountain.
- Queen Amina’s Wall: If you visit this country with the intention of checking out the best tourist attractions in Nigeria, your journey is incomplete without a visit to Queen Amina’s wall in Kaduna state.
- Surame Cultural Landscape: Yet another perfect landscape to make this list. Here is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Nigeria which I would love you to visit anytime soon.
- The Giant Footprint of Ukhuse Oke: This tourist site is located in Owan, Edo state, where you are going to have a view of a spot in which prehistory meets the modern. The site of the footprint of a prehistoric giant is a really good place for every tourist in Nigeria.
- Ogbunike Caves, Enugu State: Finally on this list of the top 20 tourist attractions in Nigeria is Ogbunike caves in Enugu state, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site you are sure to have a time of your life here. There are 317 steps that need to be used to descend down to the caves, and it’s sure going to be fun.
We have taken our time to compile a list of tourist attraction centers in Nigeria so that you can add them to your list if you are thinking about places you can visit in Nigeria.
Nigeria truly has beautiful places, and so much to offer to anyone seeking to relax, and enjoy nature. There are wonders of nature not seen anywhere else in the world, and world heritage sites, all accessible to whoever appreciates nature. There are also historical places that tell stories of years gone by, all waiting for you if you choose to journey to the Giant of Africa. That’s all on “Top 20 Tourist Attractions In Nigeria”, share your thoughts and suggestions with us through the comment box and like us on facebook @ facebook.com/9jaquest or follow us on twitter.com/NaijaQuest.
Tags: Obudu cattle ranch, Obudu mountain resort