YORUBA NAME FOR MINT LEAF (HEALTH BENEFITS & USES)
In different society today, you find man exploring and exploiting the use of natural herbs, they also derive highest benefits from things nature has to offer.
Mint leaf is one of the naturally growing herbs you find everywhere especially in the temperate region. As generally known as Mint leaf, many societies have an indigenous name commonly attributed to this natural gift. We shall be discussing on the Yoruba name for Mint leaf, its usefulness, and benefits.
What Is Mint Leaf
Mint leaf is Known for its unique properties, the mint leaf is from the genus Mentha which is a genus of plants in the family Lamiaceae. Its oil and extract have been used by humans for over many years. Mint production has been supplied for liquor and even confectionary companies, etc. There are over 4000 species of the mint family which are existing in the world.
Yoruba name for Mint leaf
- English name: Mint leaf
- Yoruba name: Ewe mint
- Botanical name: Lamiaceae mentha
Mint leaf is popularly called “Ewe mint” in the Yoruba language. This is an herb with many nutritional or dietetic benefits and uses. It’s popular among many Nigerians and is seen in products like toothpaste, bathing soaps, air freshener, chewing gum, sweets, inhalers, etc. it saving power in terms of digest, uses for soaps, lotions and many produces made this leaf a special one.
Mint Leaf Uses
The below are some uses of the leaf
- TREATMENT OF THROAT SORE
Mint leaf over ages has been used for the treatment of bacterial infection of the throat which leads to sore of the throat, is more reason it been added to many cough syrups been consumed by both adults and children as it helps in killing some common mouth germs which tend to cause infection in man.
- HELPS TO RELIEF PAIN
Mint is used in soothing the effect of pains and nipple cracks in breastfeeding mothers especially areas that get in contact with the baby mouth, for example, the nipple and other parts of the breast.
For the treatment of rough heels. By applying mint into warm water with the heels deeply soaked into it, the issue of the rough heel can be gradually defeated.
Also, mint is regularly used in the treatment of muscle ache, thereby releasing three muscle when tensed or under stress. As a painkiller, it should be applied to the muscles by massaging it thoroughly as this will immediately provide a soothing effect to the sore muscle.
- SPICE FOR DELICACIES
It serves as a spice to both local and international dishes. Many Nigerian dishes use the mint leaf as a spice to their cooking seasoning and also internationally. It can also be used alternatively in the absence of scent leave, due to its nutritional composition and value, most cooks prefer their use of mint leaf to balance their nutritional requirement. It also used for preparing tea which is beneficial to the body.
- TREATING NASAL INFECTIONS
The application of mint into boiled water and inhaling the steam afterward is effective in the treatment of nasal complications and infections, is used to clear the nasal breathing passage and other challenges a person may face while breathing. This is best achieved when a towel is wrapped around the head in other to inhale the steam properly.
- TO AID DIGESTION
Mint leaf is commonly used to aid digestion of foods especially if there is a complication or if you feel your food are not digested, take mint leaf soaked in water, this will cause quick digestion due to its health benefits to human life thereby avoiding indigestion.
- SERVE AS FRAGRANCE AND AIR FRESHENER
Mint leaf is used for adding an incredible smell to a room with its attractive fragrance existing in various forms, it is extracted in perfume making industries also to produce a sweet sensation and fragrance well acceptable to the sense.
- PREVENT HAIR BREAKING
Mint application in body lotions, conditioning helps to reduce the risk of hair loss and also improving the quality of the hair in the human body.
Cosmetologist also uses the oil of mint in the production of cosmetic products like the shampoo and other products for the human consumption.
Still On The Yoruba name for Mint leaf – Uses And Health Benefits
Aside from the many uses of mint, it has many health benefits despite its scent and aura of wonder it does in the human world, yet some are not fully aware of the awesomeness of this plant.
The following are some of the many benefits to man
Health Benefits Of Mint Leaf
- It provides nutritional values such as vitamins and minerals that are necessary for the body, even though it may not be in large quantity in the plant but when consumed in meal, it’s very nutritious
- In cases of nausea, the scent of mint leaf helps to aid breathing and reduce the effects caused by nausea.
- It serves as an agent for weight loss. Since most people want to maintain a good body physique, mint also provides the weight loss property which is needed to avoid or clamp down on excess fats, thereby maintaining the body line.
- It serves as a means of revenue generation especially for people who farm such products and also for those who are into production of finished goods for the consumers, for example, toothpaste, chewing gum, food spices, air fresheners, mouthwash etc.
- Also, the mint leaf has created an avenue for invention and more researchers into better drugs especially among the pharmaceutical industry, medicine, food scientists, etc.
- Research has shown that mint oil is very good for skin care. It serves as the treatment of mosquito bites, bee’s bites, thereby avoiding inflammation of the area of the skin affected.
- Mint is also used for culinary activities such as garnishing of meals, drinks and beverages production etc. mostly such drinks are consumed during the hot seasons, thereby providing a cooling effect on the body.
- Mint provides oral benefits for persons with oral challenges, toothache, tooth growth and any other infections affecting the teeth. Mint can be applied to the teeth in other to provide a soothing relief to the affected part.
With its many health benefits, mint leaf serves as a booster of the human immune system which helps to improve the immune system defense mechanism against germs and other diseases.
That’s all about Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf Uses And Benefits.
- Yoruba Name For Turmeric (Health Benefits & Uses)
- Yoruba Name For Parsley Leaf (Health Benefits & Uses)
- History of Primary Health Care in Nigeria
Tags: Yoruba Name For Mint Leaf Uses And Benefits