Top 20 Least Developed Countries In Africa : Most Underdeveloped
Here is the list of the top 20 least developed countries in Africa at the moment. Africa is the home of the largest black population in the world and host of billions of people. The continent is also blessed with numerous resources though a large part of the country still remains under developed. The countries on this top 20 least developed countries in Africa have exhibited the lowest score of Human Development Index ratings in the continent. The Human Development Index HDI is a calculated through the education, life expectancy, and per capita income of each country. Below are the top 20 least developed countries in Africa ;
Most Underdeveloped / Top 20 Least Developed Countries in Africa
20. Benin : This country has a GDP Per Capita of 825.2 USD, the economy is underdeveloped mostly cause of its over dependence on agriculture and cotton.
19. Sierra Leone : This country has a GDP Per Capital of 788.4 USD. Weak government support for the agricultural industry in the country hinders any real growth, and also overdependence on mineral exploitation are reasons for the poor economy.
18. Mali : Mali with a GDP Per Capita of 765.7 USD lies eighteenth on our list of top 20 least developed countries in Africa . The country is in huge debt, though the authorities are developing the mining and fishing industry of Mali so as to ensure future financial security.
17. Burkina Faso : This country has a GDP Per Capita of 720.0 USD Agriculture amounts to 80% of the countries income and the educational standard of this country is really low. High population density, and lack of resources are also factors contributing negatively towards Burkina Faso’s backward economy.
16. Uganda : This country has a GDP Per Capita of 677.4 USD. Though bless with numerous natural resources this country still remains among the most under developed countries in Africa. Poverty in the country is mainly due to political instability and unorganized economic management by government.
15. Rwanda : Rwanda is a largely populated and landlocked country with a GDP Per Capita of 652.1 USD. The countries economy is currently managed through the export of coffee and tea.
14. Togo : This countries economy is based on agriculture and has a GDP Per Capita of 646.1 USD.
13. Mozambique : The government of this country has been trying to improve the standard of living in this country through several macroeconomic reforms and investment in aluminum smelting, though the GDP Per Capita still remains at 619 USD.
12. Eritrea : This is a nation dependent on exports of copper, granite, gold and marble and with a fast growing economy though the standard of living of people have not improved significantly. The GDP Per Capita of Eritrea is 590.2 USD.
11. Guinea : also among the least developed countries in Africa and most under developed countries of the world . Political instability and corruption have been the major caused for the poor economic growth of the country.
10. Ethiopia : This country has a GDP Per Capita of 567.8 USD. The major problem of this country is the low employment rate as over half of the population fall into the dependents. The country still lags behind even though the government has been privatizing industries and properties to ensure economic growth.
9. The Democratic Republic of Congo : This countries economy is largely based on the oil, agriculture and forestry but still lacks behinds and is poorly developed with a GDP Per Capita of 475.2 USD.
8. Liberia : The civil war in the 20th century have left a long lasting scar on the economy of this country and left some sections of the country useless. The GDP Per Capita of Liberia is 461.0 USD.
7. Madagascar : This island country has a GDP Per Capita of 449.4 USD. Continuous political crisis has deterred foreign investments in the country leaving the tourism industry of Madagascar to act as their back-up revenue generator.
6. Niger : This poor nation with a high level of illitracy has a GDP Per Capita of 440.7 USD. The economy of this country is based on domestic production and foreign exports.
5. The Gambia: This country makes number 5 on the top 20 least developed countries in Africa and has a GDP Per Capita of 422.8 USD. The economy of Gambia relies heavy on livestock farming and the country lack in natural resources.
4. Central African Republic : This country has been greatly affected by war and political instability the GDP Per Capita of CAR is 328 USD. Most children don’t go to school, health care is poor and life expectancy is low in this country.
3. Burundi : The GDP Per Capita of Burundi is 295.1 USD. Many factors are to blame for the under development of this countries, factors like civil war, lack of natural resources, illiteracy, corruption and lots more.
2. Malawi : This country has a GDP Per Capita of 253.0 USD. Most people in this country live in the rural area and don’t bother to go to school leaving their basic occupation has localized agriculture. HIv/AIDS is also rampant in this country and has not helped the economic growth of Malawi.
1. Somalia : Somalia is number one on this top 20 least developed countries in Africa with a GDP Per Capita of 128.1 USD. The economy of this country relies on livestock, foreign remittance, and telecommunications. Political insatiable and regional instability is a major reason Somalia has been unable to develop over the years.
From NaijaQuest that’s all on ” Top 20 least developed countries in Africa “, share your thoughts and opinions with us through the comment box and like us on facebook @ facebook.com/9jaquest or follow us on twitter @ twitter.com/NaijaQuest.
- DOLLAR TO NAIRA EXCHANGE RATE TODAY BLACK MARKET
- Lowest Currency In The World , Top 10
- Top 10 Poorest Countries in the Western Hemisphere
- Top 17 Small Scale Business Ideas in Nigeria
Tags: Top 20 least developed countries in Africa ,Most underdeveloped countries in Africa