Here is the updated list of the top 10 poorest countries in the western hemisphere at the moment. The Western Hemisphere is a term used to refer to half of the earth that lies west of the Prime meridian and east of the antimeridian. The Western Hemisphere consists of America, the extreme eastern tip of Russia, the western portions of Europe, some part of Africa, numerous territories in Oceania, and a portion of Antarctica. The population of the Western Hemisphere is over 1 billion and the highest mountain in the Western Hemisphere is Aconcagua in Argentina at 6,960.8 metres.
Haiti Among The Top 10 Poorest Countries in the Western Hemisphere
This ranking of the top 10 poorest countries in the western hemisphere is based on the Gross domestic product (GDP), purchasing-power-parity (PPP) per capita of these countries. Using this method would enable us to know the actual living standard of people in most of these countries. Below are the top 10 poorest countries in the western hemisphere ;
Top 10 Poorest Countries In The Western Hemisphere 2020
1. Haiti: This country has been plagued by economic instability and is the first on this list as the poorest country in the western hemisphere with a GDP PPP of $1,358.
2. Nicaragua: This is the largest country in the Central American isthmus, the population of this country is six million which includes indigenous peoples, Europeans, Africans, and Asians, this country is second on the list with a GDP PPP of $2,698.
3. Guyana: This is a sovereign state on the northern mainland of South America and is the fourth-smallest country on mainland South America after Uruguay, Suriname and French Guiana, this small state has a GDP PPP of $4,029.
4. Honduras: This country has a population of over 8 million and is widely known for its rich natural resources, including minerals, coffee, tropical fruit, and sugar cane. Though with all these resources the country has a GDP PPP of $4,275.
5. Bolivia: This is a landlocked country located in western-central South America one of its largest cities and principal economic centers located in the Altiplano. Bolivia is fifth on this list of poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, with a GDP PPP of $4,365.
6. Paraguay: This landlocked countries economic growth was stalled due to the succession of authoritarian governments in the 20th century. Though they have experienced changes in recent years their GDP PPP is $4,786.
7. Guatemala: Though this country has witnessed economic growth and successful democratic elections, it still continues to struggle with high rates of poverty, crime, drug trade, and instability and has a GDP PPP of $4,907.
8. El Salvador: This is the smallest and the most densely populated country in Central America, with a population of 6.38 million, the country has a GDP PPP of $7,564.
9. Ecuador: A country with a developing economy which is highly dependent on commodities, namely petroleum and agricultural products and a GDP PPP of$7,786
10. Belize: This country has a small economy that is based primarily on the export of petroleum, crude oil, and agriculture. The country has a GDP PPP of $7,894.
There you have it Top 10 Poorest Countries In The Western Hemisphere, share your thoughts and suggestions with us through the comment box and like our Facebook page @ facebook.com/9jaquest or follow us on twitter @ twitter.com/NaijaQuest
Tags: Poorest Countries In The Western Hemisphere 2020