CIVIL WAR IN AFRICA : CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS
The civil war in Africa from that of Ivory Coast in 2004, that of Chad in 2010 to that of Libya 2011 are classical examples of the countless number of civil war in Africa since 1962. Over the last 50 years, more than 20 countries on the south of the Sahara have experienced at least, one civil war. They have been prevalent, causing over 1000 combat related deaths and leaving many injured in its trail. Civil wars happen due to the build up of a number of factors.
Causes of Civil War In Africa
Colonial Rule : The colonial masters gave African countries their independence without ensuring that the people were economically and politically prepared for a the new government. They only viewed Africa as a commercial enterprise. Few years after they left, most African countries began to develop issues. The people began to question their shaky political framework and began to rebel, by declaring war.
African Civil War
2. Competition for Natural Resources
Competition for Natural Resources : War arise due to conflict between two or more tribal groups or, between the people and its government over who claims ownership of a particular natural resource and sharing aggreement
3. Division Among Ethnic Groups
Divisions Among Ethnic Groups : Due to cultural differences there can be war between two or more ethnic groups that find it difficult to stay with each other. This can happen when one ethnic group feels slighted about the preferential treatment given to other ethnic groups by the government or the other felt been oppressed.
Cold War : This caused most of the civil wars in Africa. States were given inappropriate power to wield through the mass supply of arms and ammunition by the key players of the cold war. Problems within a country that could have been resolved peacefully now involved the use of arms.
Possible Solutions To African Civil Wars
- There should be a presence of a strong political system that can adequately cater for the needs of its citizens.
- Dialogue should always be employed by the parties involved as a means to an end rather than the use of arms and ammunitions.
- Presence of Justice : The government should work hard on equal allocation of resources and opportunities for each tribal group. This would instill the spirit of patriotism in the citizens and wouldn’t make any group feel left out.
- Corruption : All present government and leaders should work hard to guard against corruption. All offenders should be brought to justice as fast as possible.
In future, we should try to avoid civil wars by avoiding situations that bring them up. That’s all from NaijaQuest as regards ” African Civil War Solutions and Causes of Civil War in Africa “, share your thoughts and suggestions with us through the comment box Plus like us facebook @ facebook.com/9jaquest or follow us on twitter @ twitter.com/NaijaQuest.
Tags: African Civil War Solutions and Causes of Civil War in Africa