On JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology. Sociology is defined as the study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society. Simply put, it is the study of social problems. The term Sociology was coined by the French philosopher Auguste Comte in the year 1839 from two (2) Latin words ‘societies’ which means society and ‘logos’ which means study. Therefore, the etymological meaning of the term Sociology is the study of society but with a broad scope that also covers social stratification, social mobility, social class, religion, law, secularization, sexuality, and also deviance. Lets now go fully into the topic;
JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology 2020
For those who aspire to study sociology in a Nigerian higher institution
- Its History/Government
- Plus two other Social Sciences/Arts subjects.
- The fourth subject which is the use of English is a compulsory subject.
So those who wish to study Sociology as a course must sit for the above JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology.
WAEC Subject Requirements For Sociology
Five (5) O’level credit passes to include:
- English Language,
- One (1) Science subject, and
- Any Arts or Social Science subject is required.
For those who aspire to study sociology in a Nigerian tertiary institution, the WAEC Subject Requirements For Sociology is given above.
After knowing what the JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology and WAEC Subject Requirements For Sociology are, let’s discuss more about the course in details. So who are sociologists? Sociologists are social scientists that study sociology and their career options include: –
- BUSINESS: They can function in business areas such as consumer research, entrepreneurship, human resource, insurance, marketing/sales, public relations, and media.
- COMMUNITY SERVICES: Sociologists can function in the following areas of community service: advocacy, childcare, community development, environmental groups, non-profit agencies, and urban planning. education: admissions, career counselor, administrative support and teaching.
- HEALTH SERVICES: In the area of health, Sociologists can function as a family planner, in hospital admissions, as insurance providers, in substance abuse education and also in rehabilitation counseling.
- LAW: In the area of law, sociologists can function as an attorney, law investigation/enforcement, paralegal, probation and in parole administration.
- PUBLISHING: They can function as professional writers, in research, and also in journalism
- SOCIAL SERVICES: Sociologists can function in administration, case management, elderly & youth services, recreation, and rehabilitation and in social work.
With these career choices in mind, one can opt for a degree in sociology. To do this, the jamb subject combination for sociology and WAEC subject requirements for sociology are supplied in this article.
Sociology As A Discipline In Nigeria
SOCIOLOGY as a course of study in Nigeria is limited only to Universities and it is offered as a single major or as a double major in Sociology/Anthropology. To be eligible for admission to study the course, you have to meet the jamb subject combination for sociology and also the WAEC subject requirements for sociology. The Course is available as a single major in the Faculty/School/College of Arts leading to the award of Bachelor of Arts in the following schools;
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY
- EVANGEL UNIVERSITY, EBONYI
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-KASHERE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-NDUFU
- PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY, BOKKOS
- SALEM UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA
The course is also available as a double major course of SOCIOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY in the Faculty of Arts in the FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-OTUOKE. The WAEC SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS to study the course in the above-named institutions in Nigeria is
Five (5) O’level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, History/Government/Economics, one (1) Science subject, and any Arts or Social Science subject. PLATEAU STATE UNIVERSITY requires‘o’ level credit passes in English Language and any three (3) Social sciences or Arts subjects plus at least an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
The course is also available in the Faculty/School/College of Social and Management studies leading to the award of a Bachelor degree of Science .B.Sc. (Hons) in the following schools:-
- Abia State University Uturu (ABSU)
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba (AAUA)
- Ado Bayero University, Kano
- AFE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, ADO-EKITI (ABUAD)
- Ahmadu Bello University, KADUNA (ABU)
- AL-QALAM UNIVERSITY, KATSINA
- Ambrose Ali University, EKPOMA (AAUA)
- Bauchi State University (BASU)
- Benue State University, Makurdi(BSU)
- BINGHAM UNIVERSITY, NASARAWA
- BOWEN UNIVERSITY, IWO
- CARITAS UNIVERSITY, ENUGU
- Chukuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (COOUU)
- COVENANT UNIVERSITY, OTA
- CRAWFORD UNIVERSITY, IGBESA
- Delta State University, Abraka
- EASTERN PALM UNIVERSITY, ORLU(EPU)
- Edo State University, Iyamho
- Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti
- Federal University-DUTSINMA
- Federal University-GASHUA
- Federal University-GUSAU
- Federal University-KEBBI
- Federal University-LAFIA
- Federal University-OYE EKITI
- Federal University-WUKARI
- FOUNTAIN UNIVERSITY, OSOGBO
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu-Nike (GOUU)
- Gombe State University
- GREGORY UNIVERSITY, UTURU
- Imo State University
- JOSEPH AYODELE BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, IKEJI-ARAKEJI(JABU)
- University of Jos
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- KWARARAFA UNIVERSITY WUKARI
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- LANDMARK UNIVERSITY, OMU ARAN
- Lagos State University
- LEADCITY UNIVERSITY, IBADAN
- LEGACY UNIVERSITY, OKIJA
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, OKIJA
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil, Kano
- NnamdiAzikiwe University, Awka
- NOVENA UNIVERSITY, OGUME
- OBONG UNIVERSITY, ABAK
- OlabisiOnabanjo University
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- PAUL UNIVERSITY, AWKA
- REDEEMERS UNIVERSITY, EDE
- RHEMA UNIVERSITY, ABA
- RITMAN UNIVERSITY, IKOT-EKPENE
- Sokoto State University, Sokoto
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of ABUJA
- University of Calabar, Calabar
- University of IBADAN
- University of ILORIN (ILORIN)
- University of Lagos(LAGOS)
- UNIVERSITY OF MKAR, GBOKO
- Usman Dan Fodio University, Sokoto
- Umaru Musa Yar’dua University, Katsina (UMUKY)
- HEZEKIAH UNIVERSITY, UMUDI, IMO
- WESTERN-DELTA UNIVERSITY, OGHARA
- Yobe State University
The general WAEC SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS FOR SOCIOLOGY in the above-named schools is Five (5) O’level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, History/Government/Economics, one (1) Science subject, and any Arts or Social Science subject is required. Jamb subject combination for sociology for those who aspire to study the course in a Nigerian higher institution is History /Government plus two other Social Sciences/Arts subject while the fourth subject which is the use of English.
- Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba accepts ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government/History, and any other two (2) Social/ Science or Arts subjects.
- Ahmadu Bello University accepts five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Government or History, Economics, Geography, Christian Religious Studies / Islamic Studies and at least an ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
- Ambrose Ali University, the University of BENIN and Delta State University all require ‘O’ level credit pass in Mathematics to study the course.
- ABSU and the University of CALABAR will accept ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics. The University of IBADAN accepts five (5) ‘O’ level credits passes from any Arts, Sciences or Social /Sciences subjects.
- ABUAD accepts ‘O’ level credit passes in English language, Mathematics, Government and any other two (2) Social Science subjects.
- Bauchi State University requires candidates to have five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes from any Social Science or Arts subjects.
- Delta State University and BOWEN UNIVERSITY require candidates to possess five (5) ‘O’ level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, and any two (2) Social Science subjects plus any other subject.
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY-LAFIA requires candidates to possess ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Government and any two (2) of Economics, Commerce, History, Islamic Studies or Christian Religious Studies. JABU requires candidates to have at least ‘O’ level pass in Mathematics.
- JAMB SUBJECT COMBINATION FOR PSYCHOLOGY AND WAEC SUBJECT REQUIRED
- JAMB SUBJECT COMBINATION FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE AND WAEC SUBJECT REQUIRED
- LIST OF POLYTECHNICS IN NIGERIA AND THEIR CUT OFF MARK
- Top 10 Best State Universities in Nigeria
- Top 10 Cheapest Private Universities In Nigeria
Conclusion On Jamb Subject Combination For Sociology And Waec Subject Requirements 2020
This article has done justice to the topic. You can read further if you desire more in-depth knowledge about sociology.